Note: I include a very small amount of Stevia in the recipe - feel free to omit this, but from my research I've found that Stevia doesn't have any negative affects on blood glucose levels so you won't have to worry about that :) Basically it won't spike your blood sugar levels (which is what causes weight gain) it's actually known to help stabilize blood sugar levels and has been used to combat diabetes!
Carrot Pumpkin Protein Bars
Makes 2-4 bars
- 1/2 tsp of Stevia
- 1 tbsp. Organic Cacao Powder (make sure you buy pure cacao powder without additives)
- 1/2 tbsp. Macadamia Nut Oil
- 1/4 cup Raw Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/3 cup Organic Shredded Carrots (chopped up smaller)
- 1 tbsp. Organic Peanut Butter (plain without any additives) (melted in microwave)
- 1 tbsp. Organic Almond Butter (plain without any additives)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix stevia, cacao powder, pumpkin seeds, carrots and macadamia nut oil together in a bowl, until well mixed.
- Add almond butter and begin to mold into bars. (you can make 2 large bars or up to 4 smaller ones)
- Place the bars on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Lightly coat the bars with melted peanut butter (place in microwave for 1 min) (for those of you with peanut allergies just substitute almond butter)
- Bake for 20-30 min.
- Let cool before eating. (they will be a bit chewy and not as hard as regular bars)
- Nutritional Facts (per a bar, for 2 bars):
- Calories: 262
- Protein: 9g
- Sugars: 4g (naturally occurring from Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, and Carrots)
Another variation you may want to try is to replace the carrots with chopped pieces of avocado - also delicious and holds it's form better ;)
Give them a try and let me know what you think :)